Well 2016 was a year we’ll not forget in a hurry.
by Darren Caveney
Despite the world being intent on self-destruction at times there were some memorable moments too. I prefer to focus on the positives.
From a work perspective there were many pieces of work which made me grateful and proud to work in our fine industry and so some end of year reflective thank you’s are in order.
I would like to say a big, hearty thank you to…
– everyone who wrote a post for comms2point0.co.uk
– everyone who asked me to deliver a comms review or some strategic support and consultancy
– everyone who crafted the 332 UnAwards16 entries and came along to the big day
– everyone who asked for some mentoring help
– everyone who chipped into the conversation on @comms2point0
– everyone that came along to our new How to communicate in a digital world workshops
– everyone who placed a job ad with us (and those who applied and got new gigs)
– and everyone who ever said a nice thing about comms2point0 or comms2point0.co.uk and supported the things we try to do
We must never forget that we’re all in a community with a tonne of knowledge, skills, lessons and kindness. Let’s keep hold of that in 2017.
I’m not one for writing posts about my predictions for 2017 (phew, you’re thinking…)
The way my 2017 diary is shaping up so far I see my work focussing on four key areas next year:
– Communications and digital reviews for comms teams This was the activity which kept me busiest in 2016. I’ve learned so much from them all, and the opportunity for benchmarking across organisations now is quite unique
– Mentoring and strategic support for comms leads and heads going through large change, restructures and with big priorities to deliver against. It’s a challenge but one which we can push forward and nail
– Customer services and social media Developing organisational social media offers and identifying where comms and customer services need to collaborate to be truly effective
– Evaluation and ROI Not a new kid on the block but we still have work to do here to deliver better evaluation and really prove the ROI of comms and digital
And of course there will be the UnAwards Winners Masterclasses- three regional, free-to-attend events in March to learn the lessons from this year’s winners. More news on these soon.
Whether Christmas is your thing or not try to get some quality down-time, keep away from the work phone wherever possible and tell your loved ones that you love them.
Darren Caveney is creator of comms2point0 and owner of creative communicators ltd
image via the State Archive of Florida